White Plains Police Reform Committee
The City of White Plains has formed a Police Reform Committee in response to Governor Cuomo's "New York State Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative" Executive Order 203.
Subsequent to the Executive Order, New York State issued detailed guidance for the Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative to all jurisdictions with police departments. Click Guidance to access the document.
The White Plains Police Reform Committee will utilize this guidance to review the needs of the White Plains Community served by its police department, evaluate the department's current policies and practices, involve the full White Plains community in the discussion, develop policy recommendations resulting from this review, offer a plan for public comment, and present that plan to the White Plains Common Council.
Opportunities for Public Comment
Speak at a Public Comment Session
As part of this review process, the City of White Plains and the White Plains / Greenburgh Branch of the NAACP will co-sponsor public comment sessions for members of the Police Reform Committee and the White Plains community as a whole. The public comment sessions will be held on:
- Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 6:00 PM
- Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 4:00 PM
- Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 850 5740 7762
- Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 7:00 PM
- *this session will be geared toward youth ages 12-18 years*
Both virtual and in-person speaking options are available. To register to speak at one of the public comment sessions, click Public Comment Registration Form. Pre-registration is quick and easy. Alternatively, join the Zoom meeting and indicate in the chat when you enter that you would like to speak.
A few important notes:
- Each speaker will have up to 3 minutes to speak.
- The public comment sessions will be streamed live and available to view on the City of White Plains website at: http://whiteplainsny.swagit.com/live/ as well as on Channel 75 (Altice/Optimum) and Channel 47 (Verizon).
- The in-person location for the public comment sessions is White Plains City Hall, 255 Main Street, 2nd floor.
- If you are commenting virtually, a meeting link will be sent to you prior to the session.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your comments in writing.
Call (914) 422-1313 to record a voice message with your comments.
Visit a Trusted Community Organization
Visit a trusted community organization and record your comments in a private, one-on-one setting.
- El Centro Hispano – Call (914) 289-0500 to schedule an appointment.
- The LOFT LGBT Community Center – Call (914) 948-2932 ext. 11 to schedule an appointment.
- My Sisters' Place – Call (914) 683-1333 to schedule an appointment.
- NAACP White Plains/Greenburgh Branch - Email email@example.com to make arrangements to speak with someone.
- White Plains Mayor's Advisory Committee for People with Disabilities - Email Committee Chair Harriet Lowell at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements to give comments.
Please Note: All comments – no matter what form they take – will be shared with the members of the White Plains Police Reform Committee.
City of White Plains Police Reform Committee
Janice Griffith, Chair
President, NAACP - White Plains/Greenburgh Branch
Police Chief, White Plains Police Department
President, White Plains Board of Education
Westchester-Rockland Guardians Association
White Plains PBA
Student, White Plains High School
Chair, Mayor’s Advisory Committee for People with Disabilities
Westchester County District Attorney’s Office
My Sisters' Place
Westchester Coalition for Police Reform
Captain James Spencer
Community Advocacy & Strategic Initiatives Division,
White Plains Police Department
Minister Donald Stevens
Resident & Deacon, Little Mt. Zion Holy Church
Security Consultant for WP Housing Authority
The LOFT: LGBT Community Services Center
Reverend Erwin Lee Trollinger
Calvary Baptist Church
Isabel Villar / Judith Aucar
Executive Director / Deputy Director, El Centro Hispano
Resident & Local Attorney
Director, White Plains Youth Bureau
Resident, Criminal Defense Attorney