DPW Code Enforcement 914-422-1208

The Department of Public Works’ (DPW) Code Enforcement Office is responsible for issuing permits on public rights-of-way that include the following:

  • Sidewalk obstruction and vault permits
  • Curbing and driveway permits
  • Street opening / obstruction permits

Code Enforcement Permits 

Contact Code Enforcement if you are planning any of the following projects:

  • Any type of sidewalk repair
  • Driveway expansion or any changes within the property rights-of-way up to the curb
  • Blocking any city-owned land, including any city streets or rights of way
  • Operating a crane of city owned property
  • Storing a dumpster or "pod" on city land


Garbage containers, recycling bins, yard debris* compost cans and bags may be placed at the curb for collection from 6 p.m. the evening before your scheduled day of collection and no later than 8 a.m. on your scheduled day of collection.  

Garbage and recycling bins are not to remain at the curb outside of these schedule times - as they are unsightly and violate the City’s Municipal Code. Containers that remain at the curb may receive a summons.

During the spring and summer months, each address has a scheduled day of collection for yard debris.  Yard debris should be placed at the curb (In paper bags or reusable containers) on the scheduled day of pick up.  

Yard debris should not be left at the curb in between collection dates.  If you have any questions regarding yard debris please call 914-422-1202.

* Fall Leaf Collection (Columbus Day to the First Week in December)

Bagged yard debris and loose leaves in the fall (from Columbus Day to the first week in December) are exempt from this rule. The Forestry Department will be circling the city to pick up soft yard debris on a rolling schedule that is determined primarily by how heavy the leaves are falling; at this time of the season you may leave soft yard debris (bags or containers) at the curb.  Please do not keep garbage containers at the curb unless it is your scheduled pick up.

Pet Waste

Proper disposal of Pet Waste (PDF) is important. Please be a good neighbor and pick up after your pet.

Know Your Boundaries!

Property owners should know that a portion of land between your private property line and the street is city property, known as the right-of-way (ROW.) Land owners are responsible for maintaining this ROW property, including the sidewalks (if applicable) and curbs.

Property owners must know that installing a fence, a wall of any kind, a sprinkler system, plantings (including trees) are not permitted on the City property (ROW).

The public right-of-way (ROW) depth varies for each parcel of land. Check your property survey to determine your property line, or, if you have any questions please contact DPW’s Code Enforcement office.

Don’t Hang that Sign!

Temporary Signs Are Not Permitted on the Right of Way: (Sec. 9-10-48) of the City Charter

Utility poles on the public right of way (ROW) are not a place for private signs in White Plains. If you are having a tag sale, hosting an open house or the like, you are in violation of the POST NO BILLS ordinance if your signs are posted on utility poles, in public medians or on the public ROW. Please keep signs on your own private property, off the right of way.

Renovating or Building New?

Under NY State Law, renovations, additions or new buildings on any property, besides requiring a permit from the Building Department (914) 422-1269, may also require the completion of a DPW Stormwater Management Permit Application (SWPP) (PDF), which will be given final approval by DPW’s Bureau of Engineering.  

DPW’s Engineering Bureau’s general number is (914) 422-1215.

Dig Safely!

White Plains is a well developed city with an infrastructure that goes well beneath the surface. Prior to any type of excavation please contact Dig Safely NY (dial 811) to void hitting any utility lines and perhaps causing a big problem. You may also log on to their website at www.digsafelynewyork.com for information.

Local Businesses

Sidewalk Café Permits

Outdoor Cafe’s generally open by April 15th. All paperwork must be submitted 30 days prior to opening, with the following information:

  1. Completed Application (PDF)
  2. Completed Hold Harmless Agreement (PDF)
  3. Certificate of Insurance (PDF)

Contractors:  Working in the Downtown Area

Holiday Moratorium  November 1st - New Years Day

The public right of way (ROW) is land on public property. Streets, sidewalks and public parks are included in this definition. If you would like to inquire about conducting any type of work on City owned property please contact Code Enforcement to ensure prior authorization to do so.  Call Code Enforcement at (914) 422-1208 for further information.