To qualify, for a disability exemption the persons with disabilities must have documented evidence of their disability and must meet the income requirements. There are no age qualifications. Property must be a one-, two-, or three-family house, condo, or co-op, which is the primary residence of the disabled owner.
Proof of Disability
Applicant must submit one of the following:
- An award letter from the Social Security Administration or Railroad Retirement Board certifying the applicant’s eligibility to either receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or railroad retirement disability benefits
- A certificate from the State Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped stating that the applicant is legally blind
Proof of Residency
Applicant must submit a photocopy of drivers’ license if the printed address is that of the residence, or, a copy of the front page of a recent phone, electric, or cable TV bill showing property owner’s name and address of residence.
Please note, if residence is a co-op, the "Certification by Co-op Board of Managers" form must be completed and returned with exemption application.
Proof of Income
- Income tax return - Copy of last year’s return, if one was filed
- Social Security - Form 1099 from the Social Security Administration, or, if your check is direct deposited, a copy of the bank statement indicating the deposited amount. If none of these items are available, the Social Security Administration will send a statement to you indicating your monthly benefits. This statement may be requested by phone at 800-772-1213.
- Pension, annuity, and/or railroad retirement - Copy of the statement(s)
- Rental Income - Proof of net rental. Show in detail all expenses pertaining to rental
If children live at the premises and attend public school, give the names and ages of the children and the school attended. All questions on the application must be completed and all owners must sign and date it.
To renew your exemption the following year, you will not have to furnish co-op certification. If your disability rating is permanent, there is no need to refile evidence of disability, however, all income information must be updated each year.
Disability Instructions/Application and Co-Op Form if Needed
Deadline to file application is December 1st of every year.