Hospital emergency rooms treat thousands of people annually who are injured from falls involving holiday decorations. Half of those injuries are associated with falls, and some could involve extension cords. Here are some tips to make your holiday decorating safer:
- Never use furniture as a ladder.
- Follow the 1-to-4 rule for extension ladders: for every four feet the ladder rises, move the base out one foot from the structure.
- Always keep three points of contact on the ladder: two hands and one foot, or two feet and one hand.
- Inspect the ladder for any damage prior to using it.
- Use the right ladder for the task at hand.